Well, Mother Nature sure likes to keep us on our toes this year! And this past week's storm prior to the scheduled Olympiad Day was more of the same. But in the end, she was unable to interrupt our day on Friday, and the Olympiad Day went off without a hitch!
This wonderful event could not have been possible without:
- John McCarthy and Jillian Schiavo, who organized the event on the school/teacher side, including all schedules, handouts, etc.,
- The teachers, who in many cases spend hours preparing for their event, and who this time had to really be flexible and accommodating, given the last-minute setup following the storm,
- Parent volunteers, who assist teachers with all that each even entails,
- PTO board member Jeanette Vigorito, who procured all of the supplies (and boiled dozens of eggs!), and who helped to organize parent volunteers,
- Support, office and custodial staff, who are busy working with students, organizing volunteers, setting up, breaking down, cleaning up, etc.
- The STUDENTS! They were amazing! They were cooperative, energetic, fun, and well behaved.
One wonderful highlight was to have John McCarthy, beloved science teacher who has been on a medical leave, back in the building. He was his usual self, radiating energy for this day, care for the students, and being helpful to all! Team Gemini surprised him with by all wearing "McCarthy Strong" t-shirts. It was a moving tribute to a man who has been organizing this event for years!
Below are some photographs that provide examples of what the day was like!