Coolidge

Coolidge

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Digital Media Safety; Basketball Safety

Thank you to all parents who were able to attend Tuesday night's PTO meeting.  From what I hear, it was a record turnout!  Officer Corey Santasky of the Reading Police Department gave a wonderful presentation to parents (and some staff as well!) about current internet/phone trends, safety, harrassment, and bullying.  While it instilled a great sense of fear and responsibility in the adults in the room, we all were in agreement that our students need to also know the significance of what they post online and how they treat each other using digital media.  Officer Santasky and I will be working to create the opportunity for him to speak with our students about these important issues.  A special thanks to Officer Santasky who provided excellent, informative information with good humor! 

To those parents who were unable to attend, we will try to offer the same opportunity either at Coolidge or at Parker in the near future.  In addition, I hope to create more of these learning opportunities, so if parents have any topics that they would like addressed at a PTO meeting, please feel free to let me know!  I already have one topic: our BYOD program and how technology and digital media are used in school and with what parameters.

On a totally separate topic, I was nervous to come to school this past Monday, as I had gained quite a dramatic black eye last weekend while playing basketball (forehead + eye socket = no clear winner, but the eye socket is more of a loser in that situation).  It felt like "middle school all over again", knowing that there was something that would certainly make me stand out.  But I quickly became comfortable with my new look, and learned how to react to the stares or dramatic expressions that resulted.  And I think the students were impressed by my "basketball injury", although I had to laugh when one young man asked if I got the injury PLAYING or WATCHING basketball.  I'm glad I could answer "Playing", as the "Watching" possibility seemed a bit lame (especially if it was on TV).  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment