Coolidge

Coolidge

Friday, September 13, 2013

Open House!

When I was in middle school, I, like most middle schoolers, wanted to fit in.  The idea of public speaking was at the bottom of my list of things I wanted to do in my life, as having the undivided attention of any number of people was the most overt, standing-out type thing imaginable.  Being a teacher, politician, or motivational speaker were all off the table in any career planning I was doing at the age of 12.  So how ironic that I found myself in front of you all last night, a crowd of hundreds, without a jiggle in my knee or a drop of sweat in my palm.  Instead, I was infused by confidence, as I felt I was speaking with our community, an extended family of sorts, rather than to an audience.  Our community was all congregated in that (sweltering) space together for the same reason: because we all so deeply care for the students who come to this school every day.  Thank you to all parents who were able to attend this evening in support of the school, the staff, and your children.  And thank you to the staff who made the evening possible!  As I walked the hallways and sat in on team presentations, I was so proud of our staff, from teachers to custodians to all support staff.  We love what we do here at Coolidge, and you love the children you are sending to us, and it makes for a very positive and supportive learning environment!

It was a long, hot week this week, and I want to commend the students on "doing school" so well despite the almost oppressive heat.  We had classes seeking refuge on Thursday in the few air conditioned rooms of the school.  Water breaks were encouraged!  And we made it!  I do hope everyone has a restful weekend.

As for the week ahead, a lot of school events will be getting underway.  Please check the most recent version of the Cooldige Comet (tab above) to for times and locations for the following activities:
Monday: Student Council and Yearbook (both for any interested student)
Tuesday: A World of Difference (for those who were chosen last year)
Wednesday: Science Team (for all interested students)
Thursday: Grade 6 Math Team (for all interested 6th graders!)

Again, check out the Comet for more dates/times for upcoming events!


No comments:

Post a Comment